Monday, November 3, 2014

Blog Post #9

Based on our readings, and viewing of the Summerhill School, it has come to my attention that I really needed to reflect on what a good school is.
When looking strictly at the video of Summerhill, I was not sure if that was an environment that I would want my children to go to. I did not like hearing that lessons were optional yet, the fact that kids will attend school because it is natural to want to learn made a lot of sense to me. I would like to look into Summerhill, and other similar schools because I think this is a possible environment to be in but it would take adjusting because it is not remotely close to what I grew up in.
To me, I believe a good school needs to have a good balance. This balance consists of teacher relationships, classroom atmosphere, and discipline. Without balance, I think a school is doomed because you should not be extremely lenient or extremely harsh; this will turn students away and there will be no control.
A school needs to be able to cater to everyone and their needs. Whether it be learning abilities or special needs, the school and staff should know how to work well in these situations so students are engaged in their learning.
I think it is important for students to feel a connection with their teachers as well. Teachers need to be able to relate to their students and not seem as if they are better or more superior than them. Although this is important, there needs to be a balance so that teachers are not taken advantage of.

I think building an appropriate school is important to both the teacher and the students. The students need to be in an environment where they can properly learn and they are excited for learning. Also, teachers need to be in an environment where they feel they will be most successful in. Being in an environment that doesn't suit the teacher could be stressful for her as well as hinder her ability to teach as good as she is able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment