Monday, October 27, 2014

Blog Post 8

In attending Heights High, the concept of building bridges popped into my brain. The teaching style I observed was different than anything I was used to. As an elementary teacher or any teacher at all, I believe we will be faced with challenges that involve adapting to different students and their work ethic. How to change the environment and lesson so everyone is able to learn is something I would have to think about because my teachers throughout my schooling were predominately the same. It is obvious that students learn in different ways whether it be visual, listening, or hands on. As a teacher, you have to be able to incorporate all of these into your lessons to satisfy all students while at the same time making sure all students understand the lesson.
Building bridges is also important because I see it as students truly understanding the material. When a child is able to relate two things I think that is when they have fully mastered the material. For instance, when students are given math problems but are able to see these problems in every day life even with something as simple as gaining or spending money, students know the affects of addition and subtraction.
Building bridges is also important in terms of having students relate to their teacher. I think it is important for the teacher to be up to date on stories, music, and tv programs when it comes to relating to their students. In elementary classes, students like to talk about the latest boy bands or new episode on Disney. Being able to relate to these different things and somehow bringing them into the lesson is showing that being the teacher you are on the same level as your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment