Thursday, November 13, 2014

St. Helen's November 6th

Today I was back at St. Helen's and with the kindergarten class again. Today the class was a little more talkative and it was obvious that the teacher was frustrated with them. The teacher said that it was because of the full moon that the students were being disruptive and she said that this happens quite often and that the teachers swear by this.
There were a couple times the teacher had me lead the class or help them with an assignment. The students listened to my direction when I corrected them and they adjusted their talkative behavior after I had told them. In cases where it was only a few students talking, I went up to them and whispered they needed to be more quiet instead of correcting them in front of everyone.

I was introduced to a project the teacher was working on that I liked very much. The teacher was keeping track of the students ability to write their name and color in a picture. On the first day of school she had the students do this and then after every quarter. She said she is doing this because at parent-teacher conferences she always struggled showing parents progress. She believed that this was a great way to show it and I agreed with her.
I was able to see myself how much students improved and I was shocked. Some names were not legible the first day of school and it was awesome to see the progress the students had made.
The students are able to see their progress which I thought was important because it shows them that they are improving as a student and how important it is for their education to pay attention in class and to practice what the teacher was giving them to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment