Friday, November 7, 2014

Agnon School

Agnon was by far my favorite school we have attended thus far. I loved the feel of Agnon initially because it reminded me a lot of my school that I grew up in.
The main thing I noticed about Agnon was the students and how they behaved. The students had a type of respect and excitement to learn that I had not seen in the other schools we have attended. 
I loved the first grade teacher I was with at Agnon and would like to model some of her teaching strategies in the future. 
One of the first things I picked up on was how she interacted with her students. She was eager to teach her students and how she interacted with the students made them feel comfortable. When she spoke to her students she spoke in almost a whisper. Initially, I did not like it but the students reacted to this in an amazing manor and I preferred it over the normal voice teachers usually speak in the classroom. 
A lesson that we got to watch was in reading. I was shocked at the different levels of reading ability the students had. Two students in particular were at a 3rd/4th grade reading level. Mindy, the teacher, accommodated both of these boys by giving them work they could do in the hallway that was at their level so they were not bored in class. Other kids, were at the other end of the spectrum and could barely read or were reading at a very basic level. Mindy gave the students telephones that helped them with reading because they were able to hear themselves talk.  I like how Agnon was able to incorporate everyones learning abilities.
Agnon left an impression on me that I will never forget. I love the respect the teachers showed their students and the respect the students showed the teachers. Agnon is similar to a school I would want to work at in the future. The atmosphere and how the students behaved at Agnon make it seem like a teacher would have a hard time becoming "burn out". 

No comments:

Post a Comment